AfriGEOSS Week: Building smarter Earth observation to support sustainable development policies
AfriGEOSS Week will take place from Friday, 22 June to Friday, 29 June 2018. The 3rd AfriGEOSS Symposium will be held during AfriGEOSS Week, from 26 to 28 June 2018. The event is hosted by the Agence Gabonaise d’Etudes et d’Observations Spatiales.
The theme for the 2018 AfriGEOSS Symposium is “Building smarter Earth observation to support sustainable development policies”, and the objectives include the following:
- Engaging with end users, particularly policy and decision makers, to understand the information needs for evidence-based policy making, and raising awareness of the value of Earth observation in meeting these needs.
- Showcasing the use of Earth observation in implementing the Sustainable Development Goals and development policies at both national and regional levels.
- Reinforcing dialogue on Earth observation priorities in Africa, and promoting or building synergies with ongoing and planned Earth observation initiatives at national, regional and international levels, in order to draw linkages with the implementation of the African Space Policy of the African Union.
- Strengthening national and regional Earth observation coordination mechanisms in order to broaden African participation in the Group on Earth Observation and AfriGEOSS activities.
- Reviewing the implementation of the 2017 Symposium outcomes and contributions, and establishing a mechanism for monitoring and evaluating future Symposium outcomes.